Monday, October 13, 2008

Finally Someone Who Needs It!

I recently met some new friends online at MilkShare who will be the recipients of my extra breastmilk. For those who haven't read the old post about donating, go back and do so! It's something that I love to do for the health of another. The relationship with the particular family in that previous post fell through, as they only wanted to use glass bottles (which is out of the question if I have to ship the milk across the country). What a wonderful new family this is! I'm so excited to have come across Kim, her husband, and their 9 children (yes, 9 children under 9 years old, these people have an amazing heart for the Lord and His gifts!). Anyway, Baby I (whose name will be withheld for safety reasons) is now 3 months old but was born with a cleft lip and cleft palate. He will be going in for surgery very soon (probably within the next couple weeks) to repair the lip and palate, and get tubes in his ears, so he'll need all the immune support he can get from his diet. That is why I've decided to donate to this family, and I very much encourage anyone who is breastfeeding to consider doing the same; not necessarily to this family, but to any family who is in need of breastmilk. Here's some pictures of Kim, her family, and Baby I. I can't even begin to imagine how different he'll look after the surgery is complete, what a sweet boy!

2 comments:

Debbi said...

That's awesome that you do this - and that you found this awesome family! My sister who just adopted had her birth mom send milk but she just had to go back to work and they had to wean him to formula, he was pretty sad for the past couple days, but adjusted. Good for you!

Jaime said...

My nephew was born with a cleft lip. After his surgery he looked like a different baby. We were actually a little sad (for us, not him). He is now 8 years old and he is the best kid ever. You would never know that he had to go through a lot more than any other boy his age. I have a special place in my heart for these amazing little souls who have to go through so much. You are doing a wonderful, priceless thing for this family.