Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Good and the Bad

The Good: John is fine. He got a flu shot to top off his little virus, lol! Poor baby was so brave and only cried a little.
The Bad: Jeanine, on the other hand, was discovered to have dual ear infections (though they're pretty mild), and a kidney infection, which was the culprit for the 103 degree fever she's been running since late yesterday morning-ish.
Last night was pretty terrible, Jeanine wouldn't sleep at all unless I was holding her, so I spent a majority of the night sitting on the couch trying to find a comfortable way to hold her AND sleep. It ended up with me watching '24' and Prison Break episodes for quite a while, and I think I've only gotten 3 hours of sleep over the last 2 nights.
Our appointment was originally for 2:30 this afternoon but I was able to change it this morning to 9:45am, so that was such a blessing. I was getting worried about Jeanine's fever not being affected much by Tylenol and staying consistently above 103 degrees! We went in and her ears looked a little yucky but the high fever wouldn't have been caused by such mild ear infections so the pediatrician suspected an unseen infection. They catheterized her (all I can say is it was pure torture for the sweet baby) to get a urine sample which came back positive with blood (classic sign of UTI), and because of the high fever diagnosed her with a kidney infection. After that she needed antibiotic injections (one large dose split up into 2 needles, one on each thigh) that supposedly would burn and sting for a while. My poor baby just cried and cried and then passed out in my arms for a little nap. We stayed for another 20 minutes to make sure she didn't react to the meds and then were able to go home.
The Good: I LOVE this new pediatrician and the whole office, staff, and facility! I have never been made to feel more welcome, important, and understood in my life. Our 9:45 appointment began at, you guessed it, 9:45, amazing! The nurses were sweet and knowledgable, the pediatrician spent ample time with me talking about the children, both their illnesses and their behaviors in general. They worked with me on future appointment dates and times and even offered to help me back out to my car with the children and all my things. The best thing they did though, which is highly impressive to me, is that when John got restless they brought in a portable DVD player to our room and set him up watching Finding Nemo to keep him occupied. They even offered me formula for Jeanine in case I didn't have any left since we'd been there for so long. I'll never go anywhere else!
The Bad: We have to go back tomorrow. Jeanine has to be seen again tomorrow to check her out and give her another 2 shots of antibiotics. After that we'll have to give her 10 days of oral antibiotics at home. Even worse? She has to have a renal ultrasound and a procedure called VCUG (Voiding Cysto-Urethrogram), where they'll catheterize her once again, fill her bladder up with fluid, and take x-rays while she urinates to see if there is a backup, or, reflux, into her kidneys. Ahhh, the joys of motherhood...and holding down your SCREAMING 6 month old so someone can torture them.
I feel awful for Jeanine but I'm really glad I took her in now. She definitely didn't seem as sick (to me) as she ended up being, so I'm glad now that we know what's going on.
The Good: The children are both sleeping now...please, God, please let them both take long naps so I get a break, and so they can both feel better!

1 comment:

Tim and Heidi Thomas said...

ohmygoodness! so glad you took your babies in--praying for healing all around! p.s. an ERGO carrier is so much more comfortable than the snugli ;)