Thursday, April 24, 2008

Where do I start?










Well, we've just been so busy! Two weekends ago John and I flew down to my parent's house. The next day my mom and I drove with John down to my sister's house where all the cousins finally got to play. It was a blast and John sure loved his two new playmates. He was a bit overwhelmed at first with the chaos that accompanies 2 rambunctious boys, but quickly became part of the crew. The reason for the trip was so that my mom and I could go to Jen's baby shower for her first girl! It was so much fun and her friend Shiloh did an amazing job planning her first baby shower. There was great food, fun, fellowship, and words of wisdom from some of Jen's friends. Oh yeah, and lots of good presents too! We were very sad to leave on Monday for the long drive back to my parents' house and hope to see Jen and Ryan and the boys again soon. I don't think you ever really realize how much you miss someone until you see them again...I'm sad. Oh yeah, did I mention the weather? We were soooo blessed with 90 degree weather during our stay in Southern CA...blessed, you ask? Heck yes! I live in Washington and the weather here is horrible!! I'd just about KILL for some 90 degree weather here on a regular basis, sans humidity of course! Pictures from the trip to follow sometime tomorrow...blogger stopped uploading them tonight unfortunately.

Well, during that time Isaac was studying intensely for his EMT exam and working full time, and we just found out today that he passed that test with a 90%! Congrats Isaac, we're so proud of him and that's one less hurdle to jump before getting on a fire department.

At my parent's house we did a lot of relaxing and catching up on sleep for the first half of the week, then we went to San Francisco on a ferry on Thursday. It was a blast. My grandma and good friend Christy came with, and John LOVED the boat ride and getting to feed the birds at Pier 1 while we waited to go home. We ate some awesome fish and chips at Pier 39 and did a little shopping, but other than that it was pretty laid back. Sorry no pictures of much, just feeding birds. Friday and Saturday we stayed home and made the family come to us for visits, Sunday church, and Monday was a whole day of jigsawing stuff back into suitcases, having one last meal at In & Out, and making the trek back home. Being gone for 11 days is fun, but tough without a husband and we were both glad to be home again with Isaac.
John was all set up on my bathroom floor at my parents watching Cars while I got ready in the mornings!



So far this week we've gone to a couple playdates with friends and I actually took John in the stroller for a killer 4 mile walk on hills yesterday! It was nuts and I'm not sure I'll do it again very soon, but I'm working on getting in better shape right now...my midwife told me to slow the weight gain today! Doh! I guess being at my parents' house is an open invitation to pig out on good food (Mom, Dad, that's not a bad thing, hehe!) and now I'm on a diet (kinda). Today at my appointment Baby Girl Stegman (who we think we've named, but I'm hesitant to print it until I make sure w/ Isaac) is still measuring small, so I'll be going back in 4 weeks for another ultrasound to measure her head (I guess it's behind in growth), for the gestational diabetes test, and for yet another appointment. That should be a doosy of a day.

As for John, he's doing great...mostly. Anyone with kids knows there will be good days and bad days, good hours and bad hours, and good and bad all mixed in at once sometimes too! He is such a joy to us on a regular basis and we're so proud of the little boy he's growing into. He's talking up a storm now and imitating almost everything we say (thanks to Jake and Warren's examples), and I love that he's finally starting to speak in sentences. They're often jumbled, and most of the time I'm the only one who actually knows what he's saying, but I love it! He also recently learned to hold pens, crayons, and eating utensils correctly! It's so cute to see a 21 month old color or eat his food with his utensil properly in his hand, just like a little man. He's quite proud of himself for it too!





As for the bad...it's not really bad, just plain toddler behavior. From what I know about myself as a toddler, he's the spitting image of me! He has quite a contrary nature and will oftentimes play the contrary game of "I want that...and now that I have it, I don't want it anymore!!!!" I'm learning more and more patience with him in this area, but am still at my wits end sometimes as to how to train this trait into something Christlike. I mean really, what do you do with a toddler who just asked for his water, and when he got it, threw it at your face...and then wants it back again? Hmm, anyone? We're doing our best at learning how to parent John specifically and praying for God's wisdom in loving him constantly and dealing with certain behaviors that aren't acceptable. Okay, I'll quit rambling. I hope everyone is well, hope to see each of you soon!

This is John on his twin bed, with his great Pottery Barn quilt from his second cousin Josh. He loves it!

No comments: